Who is E and J?
I've had a few careers in my life, but I've always dreamed of having my own business! Handpoured candles requires me to be a scientist, a graphic artist, a scent expert, a professional organizer, a marketer, a book keeper and an accountant. That college degree in math does come in handy as there is a lot of math involved in making candles!
And when I'm not making candles, I'm spending time with my husband, my daughter Emily (the E in E&J Candle) and our two dogs or working at a nearby elementary school, where I am a para educator. My dream is that someday we will make enough profit from our candle business that I will be able to make candles full time!
Buy local, buy USA made
My husband is retired military and we both believe strongly in supporting American made businesses and buying local whenever we can! Because of this, I will always buy my supplies from American companies, and when I can I buy supplies that are also made in the USA.
If you like USA made products, check out our collection of Artisan Stone Candles. These concrete jars are made in house, stress tested for safety and compatibility with our fragrances and coupled with a crackling wood wick. Everything in these candles is sustainable and made in the USA!
Why we make handmade candles
Every once in a while I hear someone ask why bother, when big candle companies have so much of the market covered. In fact, even in a nearby town there is a big candle company. But I make candles because I want to do something different! We are going beyond jar candles to offer specialty candle containers that you won't find elsewhere - we believe in elevating the candle experience. In our shop you'll find two unique collections - artisan stone (concrete) candles with wood wicks and lux ceramic candle vessels with gold interiors.
All about our ingredients
As far as our fragrances go, we buy our fragrances from premium fragrance suppliers. We look for complex fragrances with multiple notes that have great fragrance throw (the ability to permeate the air when burning). We do not use 100% essential oils because they actually burn dirtier than our premium fragrance oils. However, many of our fragrances are infused with essential oils at a level that is safe and beneficial for our air.
We use more than one wax, depending on what the candle and fragrance need to burning optimally. We primarily use a coconut carnauba wax blend, and a coconut-soy wax blend, depending on the vessel, wick and fragrance. Although we generally try to stay away from paraffin, there is a tiny amount of paraffin that our manufacturer adds to the wax as a stabilizer. Our wax still burns ultra clean because we work so hard to pair wicks what will burn clean.
Every candle you buy from us is made with love
We make sure that every wick is centered, that our candles are tested for optimal burn time and great scent throw. Every candle is poured by hand, with loving care for my craft and so that my customers get a top notch candle. I don't use big machines that squirt in the wax, I do everything to make your candle perfect. And if it's not, I will replace it! I am a real person, I am excited to fill orders, to hear how much my customers love my candles.
But candles are simple to make, right?
Stick in wick, melt wax & pour...
Anyone who has tried to perfect candle making will tell you that to have an average candle, that is true, the idea is simple. But we want our candles to be AMAZING. And to be amazing, we have spent hundreds of hours...
- Testing wax - every candle wax is different. They have different materials and processes and some are better than others.
- Testing scents - to find the best smelling and also with the best scent throw. Every scent must be put into a candle and burned to smell it. If we can't smell it in the next room, it doesn't make the cut. Some fragrances are softer than others, so while some are strong others are gentle. We do our best to have a balanced offering with something for everyone.
- Finding the perfect candle vessels, or containers. We have decided on several different options to get started. We got our start in mason jar candles, so at least for now, we will keep offering these jars. We make a handmade container. And we also offer a high end "fancy" container.
- Finding the perfect candle wick. Every candle scent, jar and wax has a unique wick combination. If you change any of these elements, you have to re-test the candle again. That means for one scent, we might have tested for a hundred hours! And that is just ONE scent!
- Once you have the perfect formula, making the candle is a manufacturing process. With the right equipment, it is a beautifully calm and enjoyable process!
Things not included here are time researching safety standards, completely understanding the craft of candle making and business planning (for seasons ahead, etc).
Why do handmade candles cost more?
See the previous section. Cheap candles are fast. Quality candle making is a labor intensive process. Cheap candles are also typically not safe.
We want you to have a beautiful experience with your candle and to be safe while you do it. We put in the time to make sure that you love your candle and are safe too!
What about soy? I see lots of candles made with soy!
Soy wax has gained popularity faster than Coconut wax primarily due to price point. Per pound, coconut wax is more expensive, but we love the together! Coconut wax is dreamy and smooth with great scent throw. We are concerned about the impact soy is having on the environment but by using a blend, we believe we are reducing the impact we are having by reducing or dependence on soy.
The wax we use is still natural, like 100% soy, just made from Coconuts and Soy instead!
Note: Our Handmade Ceramic Candles contain NO SOY, so if you're sensitive or avoid soy, this might be a good option for you!